Friday, September 27, 2013

How was your day?

The single most important question that I've been asked almost every day of my life, sitting around the dinner table, and more recently over whatsapp or a well placed voice chat with one of my parents, is 'how was your day?'
There is no measure for what that question conveys, how loaded it is with concern, care and the potential that it holds for sometimes mundane sharing and often some fantastic self realization and gratitude to spill forth. The question holds promise for a safe sharing of your own stuff, but it's also accompanied by a few nuggets from the askers' day in the life. My dad usually has a range of quick bytes from work and development stuff, to a current read and some reflective philosophy on his mind. Mum will update me on a phone call from one of her aunts, or gran or my aunt, and the latest on the two grand kids scuttling around at her feet or in her lap. Everyday things that add to wholeness and being part of each others' lives. A world of love resides in that sentence of many things, many years, many ways of saying thanks.

How was your day?

No comments: